Have you heard of the SOAP Bible study method?
The SOAP method of Bible study is a great tool for studying the Word of God.
But how exactly do you use this method when studying a verse of scripture?
We will go over each letter and discuss how you can apply it to your own studies!
If you are looking for a simple, yet powerful way to study God’s Word, then you will definitely want to try out this easy way of studying God’s Word!
This post may contain affiliate links, please see our full disclosure for more information.
What is the SOAP Bible Study Method
The SOAP method of Bible study is one of the more popular ways to dive into scripture because it helps you to really meditate on what you are reading so you remember it.
It is a systematic approach to studying the Bible that helps individuals engage with and apply Scripture to their daily lives.
This method of Bible study is considered a powerful tool for several reasons:
- Structure and Focus: The SOAP method provides a structured approach to studying the Bible, with guided steps throughout. This structure helps to maintain focus so you can get the most out of your study time.
- Active Engagement: The SOAP method encourages active engagement with the Scriptures. Instead of passively reading a passage of scripture, it prompts you to observe, reflect, and apply the lessons to your life. By actively participating in the study process, you are more likely to remember what you read as well as take to heart the concepts that you learned.
- Contextual Understanding: The SOAP method encourages you to consider the context of the passage you are studying. By examining the characters, setting, and historical background, you gain a better understanding of the intended meaning of the text. This helps to prevent misinterpretation and promotes a more accurate understanding of God’s Word.
- Personal Application: One of the strengths of the SOAP method is its emphasis on personal application. It prompts you to consider how the Scripture applies to your life and encourages you to make practical changes based on what you have learned. Learning how to apply God’s Word on a daily basis to your life is kind of the whole point of Bible study!
- Integration of Prayer: The inclusion of prayer in the SOAP method is important. It allows you to respond to what you have learned by communicating with God. Prayer creates a space for reflection, surrender, and seeking God’s guidance. It deepens your relationship with God and opens the door for transformation through the Bible verses you are reading..
This method is broken down into four steps (described below) that are meant to give you specific things to do during your Bible study time (so you get the most out of it).
What Does SOAP Mean
So, what exactly does “SOAP” mean? Each letter of the name represents one of the four steps for this method of studying the Bible. The acronym SOAP stands for:
- S stands for Scripture
- O stands for Observation
- A stands for Application
- P stands for Prayer
How to Do a SOAP Bible Study
The SOAP Bible study method is actually quite simple to do and can be accomplished in less than 15 minutes each day. It is one of my favorite Bible study methods because it is such a simple method, especially for beginners studying the Bible.
Monthly Bible reading plans or scripture writing plans are perfect for doing a SOAP method because they give you a new verse for each day of the month.
S – Scripture
The first step of the SOAP method is to simply write out the passages of scripture in your journal or notebook.
This might seem like such a simple step but we are more likely to remember something that we have physically written out (and not just spoke out loud).
It helps to already have a blank piece of paper or you can use a printable SOAP Bible study worksheet.
O – Observation
Once you’ve written out the verse, the second step is to make some observations about the verse.
- What stands out to you about this verse?
- What is the context of this verse where it is written in scripture?
Write out any other questions you may have about this verse so you can meditate on it further.
A – Application
The third step of the SOAP method is Application.
As you meditate on each verse, ask yourself these questions:
- How can I apply this verse to my life?
- What is God trying to tell me?
- Is there an area of my life that I need to change as a result of reading this verse?
In my opinion, this step is the whole point of studying God’s word! We can read scripture all day long but if we don’t understand how to apply it to our daily life, what was the point?
Write down the answers to these questions and any other questions the Holy Spirit puts on your heart!
When you write it all down, it also enables to you to come back and review or reflect on your Bible study notes at a later time.
P – Prayer
The final step of the SOAP method is to talk to God about what you have read.
Whatever He revealed to you during your study time, ask Him for guidance and wisdom as you apply what you have learned.
Confess any sins that were brought to light and ask for forgiveness. Ask for grace and wisdom as you set out to make the necessary changes in your life as a result of what was revealed to you today!
SOAP Bible Study Method Example
If you are doing the SOAP method for the first time, it might help to have an actual example of what it looks like in action. Follow these simple steps using any verse from the Bible.
Here is a SOAP Bible study method example for the verse Romans 15:13 NIV:
May the God of hope fill you will all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit
God doesn’t want us to live in hopelessness or despair. He wants us to trust Him with our future and rest in the peace that He will work it all out for our good.
I know that no matter what the world may look like today (all the chaos and doom), God doesn’t want me to live with a spirit of fear. He wants me to always be filled with joy and peace – and to always be hopeful for the future.
No matter what I see on the news or social media, no matter what the world seems to be telling me, God is with me and everything is going to be just fine.
Father, thank you for being the God of hope! Lord, fill me with your spirit so I can approach each day with joy and a peaceful heart. I know that you are in control and no amount of worry on my part will change the plan that you have already worked out for my life. Amen!
SOAP Study Time Resources
If you are new to doing a SOAP Bible study, the most effective way to get started is also have additional Bible study tools handy. Some of these resources might include:
- Bible Commentary
- Bible App
- SOAP Devotional Journal If you don’t already have a notebook, you can find some really nice SOAP devotional journals that were created specifically for doing this type of study!
Spending time using all of these study resources can really help you grow more confident in Christ and in understanding God’s Word.
SOAP Bible Study Printables
If you prefer to print out your own worksheets, you might enjoy using these SOAP Bible study printables. Print them out each day and add them to your journal or notebook.
The SOAP method provides a structured framework for studying the Bible in a systematic and personal way. It encourages individuals to engage with Scripture, gain insights, apply biblical teachings to their lives, and seek God’s guidance through prayer.
It can truly help you to develop a deeper relationship with God.
If you’re looking to dig deeper into scripture and want a great way to study that doesn’t require hours of reading, then the SOAP Bible Study Method is for you.
It takes as little as 15 minutes per day to gain a better understanding of the Bible, which makes it an excellent tool for anyone with a busy schedule. But even though it doesn’t require hours of time, this type of study is a powerful way to dive into scripture each day!
There are so many creative and different ways to study ramp up your Bible study time. The SOAP method is just one of many practical ways to dive into God’s Word with focus and intention.