Do you feel like a constant battle rages on with your kids? It’s so hard to get them to do anything, let alone something that might actually be good for them. Sometimes they can’t be just so darn stubborn! But it doesn’t have to be this way.
Kids often lack a sense of gratitude simply because they don’t understand and appreciate all they do have. A gratitude journal is a perfect solution to this problem and helps encourage them to develop an attitude of gratitude.
In today’s fast-paced world, instilling a sense of gratitude in children is more important than ever. Gratitude is a powerful emotion that can bring immense joy and contentment to our lives.
By teaching children to cultivate a heart of thankfulness from an early age, we set them on a path towards greater happiness, empathy, and resilience. One effective tool for nurturing gratitude in children is the use of gratitude journals.
This post may contain affiliate links, please see our full disclosure for more information.
What is a Gratitude Journal for Kids
A gratitude journal for kids is a journal or notebook designed specifically to help children express and cultivate feelings of gratitude. It serves as a dedicated space where children can write, draw, or record things they are thankful for in their lives.
The purpose of a gratitude journal is to encourage children to focus on the positive things in their life, build a sense of appreciation, and develop a more positive outlook on life.
It is the perfect way to help children simply appreciate the small things in life and can easily become their favorite thing to do before bedtime.
It may include various blank journaling pages, as well as different gratitude activities and gratitude prompts to encourage them to really think about all they have to be thankful for.
They can be bound books (purchased as a book) or you can find printable versions that you can use at home and print out multiply copies of the individual pages.
With the blank journal pages, you can do a sort of gratitude challenge with your kids to encourage them to think of one new thing every single day to be grateful for.
Why is Gratitude Journaling Important for Children?
Teaching kids the practice of gratitude is crucial for their overall well-being and personal development. Gratitude has numerous benefits that positively impact various aspects of a child’s life. Here are some reasons why teaching kids daily gratitude is so important:
- Fosters Positive Mindset: Gratitude helps children focus on the positive aspects of their lives, fostering a more optimistic and positive mindset. It shifts their attention away from negativity and complaints, promoting a sense of contentment.
- Enhances Emotional Intelligence: Expressing gratitude requires children to identify and articulate their emotions. This process enhances their emotional intelligence, helping them understand and manage their feelings better.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Grateful children tend to experience lower levels of stress and anxiety. By acknowledging the good things in their lives, they build resilience and cope better with challenges.
- Strengthens Relationships: Gratitude encourages children to appreciate and value others in their lives. It fosters empathy and kindness, strengthening their relationships and social connections.
- Develops Resilience: Grateful children tend to be more resilient in the face of adversity. They learn to find positives even in challenging situations, which helps them bounce back from setbacks.
- Encourages Empathy and Altruism: Gratitude nurtures empathy and compassion. Kids who understand the importance of gratitude are more likely to be kind and compassionate toward others.
- Promotes Mental Health: Regularly practicing gratitude is linked to improved mental health. It can reduce symptoms of depression and increase overall life satisfaction.
- Instills Humility and Appreciation: Gratitude teaches children humility and appreciation for the blessings they have. It helps them understand that not everything is taken for granted and that others’ contributions matter.
- Builds a Sense of Purpose: As children acknowledge the good things in their lives, they develop a sense of purpose and meaning. Gratitude encourages them to be grateful for their opportunities and strive to make a positive impact.
- Cultivates Happiness: Gratitude is strongly linked to increased feelings of happiness and well-being. Teaching kids gratitude sets them on a path to finding joy in their daily lives.
- Creates a Foundation for Adult Life: Gratitude is a valuable life skill that stays with children as they grow into adulthood. Grateful adults tend to have healthier relationships, higher life satisfaction, and a more positive outlook on life.
By teaching kids gratitude, parents, educators, and caregivers provide them with a powerful tool for navigating both the happy times and the tough times in life.
It is a simple way to equip children with emotional resilience, empathy, and the ability to find happiness in the little things, laying the foundation for a fulfilling and meaningful life.
How to Use a Gratitude Journal for Kids
Gratitude journals can easily be integrated into a regular daily routine with your kids.
You can incorporate them into any morning or evening routine and they can be tailored to the age of your child.
A journal for older kids may have more space for writing but one for younger kids might have more gratitude activity sheets (since they may not know how to spell yet).
The whole point is to teach them to express gratitude in what they are doing.
The worksheets in the journal can encourage them to write about things like:
- their favorite place
- their favorite food
- their favorite sport
- their favorite season
- their favorite superhero
To get started, I would simply set a side a specific time each day. It can be during a short morning routine or at bedtime.
Personally, I think bedtime is great because they have a whole day to reflect on. And let’s face it…kid’s have short memory spans so they’ll most likely forget by the morning!
During this time, provide your child their gratitude journal and writing supplies such as a pencil or crayons.
Pick one worksheet or journaling page for them to work on during that time.
As they begin writing (or doodling), encourage conversation about what they are writing about. Ask them questions about it and encourage them to express their feelings about anything that happened during the day.
The truth is, there is no wrong or right way to do it!
Once they are finished writing, you can end this bedtime routine with a simple bedtime prayer of gratitude.
Printable Gratitude Journal for Kids
‘ve created these free printable gratitude journal templates for kids to make it super simple for them to think of things to be grateful for each day!
Each page has a different gratitude activity, along with black and white elements they can color. I added gratitude coloring pages because most kids really enjoy coloring.
And the key to getting them to engage is to make them fun activities they look forward to doing.
There are prompts or questions to use as guidelines on how to write about something that you are grateful for on that particular day.
These printable gratitude journal templates for kids also include lines at the bottom of each page where they can draw a picture or just write about what it feels like to be grateful overall.
Download the full 10-page free printable gratitude journal for kids pdf below!
The individual gratitude activities will encourage them into a daily practice of truly appreciating all they have instead of taking them for granted.
Gratitude exercises teach children about what they have and why it’s important. Not only does this help build character, but also has a positive impact on body image issues and depression later in life because children will see themselves as worthy individuals who deserve positive
There are lots of different styles and varieties of printable gratitude journals for kids to choose from. Each one has different worksheets and activities for you to find the ones that your kids will enjoy most.
- Printable Gratitude Journal for Kids
- Gratitude Journal Printbles for Kids
- Free Gratitude Journal Pages for Kids
Gratitude Journal Prompts for Kids
Some kids may find it challenging to start writing in their gratitude journal without any guidance. Journal prompts offer a starting point,to make it easier for children to express their thoughts.
Different writing prompts involve creative thinking or imaginative exercises. This can make the gratitude journaling experience more enjoyable for kids, as they get to express their creativity alongside their thankfulness.
One of my favorite prompts are positive affirmations. The child can simply write out on the journal pages an affirmation rooted in their identity in Christ.
These printable gratitude journal prompts will help make gratitude a regular part of your child’s daily routine.
In addition to the gratitude worksheets and activities, you may also want to encourage them to use gratitude writing prompts
- 52 Gratitude Journal Prompts for Kids
- 30 Days of Gratitude Prompts for Kids
- Gratitude Writing Prompts for Kids
Gratitude is such an important concept for children to learn. A heart of gratitude will help kids have a positive outlook on life and cultivate joy in the midst of hardship.
The benefits of gratitude and daily journaling for kids are far-reaching and can impact both their physical, mental, and spiritual wellness.
It can help them develop positive habits such as positive thinking and learning to express thankfulness in even the bad situations in life.
One of the best ways to teach kids about being grateful is by using a printable gratitude journal with prompts for them to write down what they are thankful for each day.
By writing in their journals every night, your child will start seeing how he or she has been blessed by so many things throughout the day and learn valuable lessons about being happy with what we already have rather than always wanting more stuff.
Remember, grateful kids are happy kids!
For more gratitude ideas for kids, be sure to also check out our Gratitude Jar Ideas and Printables.