Prayer prompts are a great way to jumpstart your prayer routine into a powerful prayer life.
Have you ever made time to pray but then you close your eyes you don’t know what to pray for?
Or you get distracted and your mind wanders to your to-do list and you get lost and unsure of what you just prayed for? That’s where prayer prompts come in.
They can also be used in prayer journaling as a way of reflecting on prayers that you have already prayed. Many prayer journals include prayer prompts to help people get started with prayer.
Either way, prayer prompts are a helpful tool for both the person praying and the one listening!
The following prayer prompts provide a guide for you to use in your personal conversation with our Heavenly Father.
This post may contain affiliate links, please see our full disclosure for more information.
What Are Prayer Prompts
Do you ever just struggle with what to write in your prayer journal each day?
You know you’ve prayed over all the people in your life but really want to become a prayer warrior and start praying for things beyond your own circle?
Or, does your prayer life seem to be a bit like groundhog day?
Sometimes, I feel like I’m just praying about the same things every day. But I know I’m missing some important things/people to pray over.
Prayer prompts are just that – prompts for specific people or things to pray over during your daily prayer time and/or to write about in your prayer journal.
They take the guesswork out of who and what to pray about each day.
Prayer Prompts for Your Prayer Journal
As Christians, we know the power of prayer but we get busy and life often gets in the way. God’s word encourages us to be intentional in cultivating a consistent prayer life.
It’s a good idea to have fresh ideas to connect with the Lord such as a prayer walk or using a prayer notebook or journal to record your prayers. A daily prayer journal should not just focus on your own life and prayer requests.
These prayer prompts will broaden your prayers and help you discover new ways to pray.
As you use them, you’ll grow in your personal relationship with the Lord, and you start praying in an effective way.
Use the following prompts to jumpstart your prayer life!
- Pray a prayer of thanks to God for who He is and shower Him with praise and adoration.
- Repent of your unconfessed sin and ask for His forgiveness.
- Reflect on the many blessings in your life and offer a prayer of praise to thank God for His faithfulness.
- Ask God to help you continue in your spiritual growth journey and guide you to where you need the most help.
- Pray for your church – pastors, leaders, and congregation.
- Ask God to give you strength and encouragement with you feel discouraged or alone.
- Ask God to renew your mind and fill you with His Holy Spirit each day.
- Ask the Lord the help you forgive someone and let go of that situation.
- Ask God to reveal your spiritual gifts and for guidance to use those gifts in different ways to bring him glory.
- If you are single, pray for your future spouse.
- If you are going through a tough time, ask God to help you let go of worry and stress and embrace His perfect peace.
- Whatever plans you’ve made in your life (personal, financial, etc), using this time to commit those plans to the Lord.
- Ask for God’s wisdom for any choices you are needing to make.
- Ask the Lord to protect your marriage from the enemy’s attacks, to sustain the love you have for each other, for you to put each other first, and for unity in your marriage.
- Pray for the Salvation of lost souls
- Pray for the people who minister to the lost and help them take the necessary steps to start their spiritual journey.
- Pray for your neighborhood to be protected and for unity among your neighbors.
- Pray to let God know that you trust in His plan and His perfect timing for your life.
- Pray for your family members. Ask God to protect them and pray for specific needs they may have.
- Pray over your finances. Thank Him for the financial blessings He has already provided and thank Him for his continued provision.
- Ask God to show you your purpose and give you the courage to live according to what He has called you to do.
- Pray over loved ones who are going throught difficult times.
- Pray over your job or business.
- Pray for your nation’s political leaders.
- Pray for unity among believers.
- Pray for those believers who are being persecuted because of their faith.
- Pray for your enemies.
- Pray for the elderly.
- Pray for every part of your body to obey and glorify the Lord, for wisdom and strength to take care of your body and protection from sickness and diseases.
- Ask God to fill you with the fruit of the spirit.
- Ask God to help you build more Godly friendships and reveal ways for you to be a better friend.
If you are having a hard time coming up with new things to pray about during your prayer time, these prompts should help you keep it fresh! Many of them are also perfect for a gratitude journal!
More Prayer Prompts
There are so many things to pray about and pray over! A good prayer warrior wants to include everyone and everything in their prayers throughout the year.
Here are some additional resources for finding even more prompts for your prayer time.
I absolutely LOVE this Pray About Everything Prayer Journal! It includes 100 prayer prompts to pray over the different areas of your life.
Below, you will find a variety of prayer journal prompts to get you started with your prayer time each day.
Prayer Journal Prompts
If you use a prayer journal, it can be really hard to always come up with new ideas to pray over each and every day. Fortunately, you can find a variety of prayer journal prompts to get you through the entire year!
- Arabah Joy has a powerful 31 Days of Prayer Prompts printable.
- A Symphony of Praise has printable Prayer Prompts for every month of the year!
- A Dose of Grace has a list of 55 prayer journal prompts.
Morning Prayer Prompts
Spending time in prayer with God each morning is so important to set your day off on the right path! But what should I pray about in the mornings?
A Virtuous Woman has a free printable 30 Morning Prayer Prompts that are perfect for starting the day!
Prayer Prompts for Youth
How kids pray is different from how we, as adults, talk to God. You can help you child me more intentional and focused during their own prayer time with these simple prayer prompts for kids.
- Arabah Joy has a list of 50 Prayer Prompts for Kids
- Gather For Bread has a super-cute list of prayer prompts for children.
One Word Prayer Prompts
Guideposts has a really great list of one-word prayer prompts to help you focus your prayer time.
Prayer Prompts for Church
It is no secret that the church faces constant spiritual attacks daily. But when a church has a congregation that prays for it, those attacks don’t seem so strong. Here are some powerful ways to pray for your church.
- The Gospel Coalition has a list of 18 Things to Pray for Your Church.
- Prayer Leader has a list of 31 prayer prompts to pray over your church.
Family Prayer Prompts
- A Faithful Step – has free printable prayer prompts to pray over your husband.
- Gathered Again has a list of 7 things to pray over your family.
- Arabah Joy has a list of 5 Scriptures to Pray Over Your Children.
- Inspired Motherhood has a list of 7 Scriptures to Pray Over Your Kids.
Prayer is more than just talking to God.
It’s a way of strengthening your relationship with Him by sharing what you are going through and how He can help you get through it, too.
If prayer time seems like an empty moment where there isn’t much to say or share, try using one of these prompts that have been developed specifically for the purpose at hand – finding things to talk about during prayer time.
Hopefully, you have found this list helpful and you have enough prayer prompts to get you through the entire year!
Prayer prompts can be a helpful tool for people who are looking to start or improve their prayer life.
They might not know what to say, but these prompts can help them find something new and interesting to discuss with God in prayer time.
Try some of the ideas we’ve listed today and see how they work for you!
Be sure to also check out Monthly Prayer Calendars as an additional resource for becoming a powerful prayer warrior.
You might also enjoy these Christian journaling prompts for additional writing in your prayer journal!